Hating the Heat

Do a quick random survey all over the Philippines and you will learn that, as much as we all hate the Martian-level summer heat we're experiencing right now, it's still nothing compared to how much we all hate the Miami Heat. And now, hours before the most awaited second-round series in NBA Playoff history, hating LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh is in dizzying hyperdrive.

I have no problem with this. As chronicled in great lengthy detail in this blog, I am one of those haters. But I'm afraid that all our collective desire to see the Miami Heat fail against the Boston Celtics could potentially be counter-productive.



Almost everyone now expects the Celtics to win this series, and I'm not just talking about Pinoy NBA fans. ESPN Sportsnation reports that almost all of the United States - save for three states - all pick the Celtics to win. The U.S. - a nation profoundly divided between Republican and Democrat lines - unanimously believe the Heat will fail.

I really don't get this. It's one thing to want someone to fail; it's quite another to actually think someone will fail. In sports, those two concepts are usually contradictory. The Spurs recently lost to the Grizzlies because they were expected to win. The 2008 football powerhouse, The New England Patriots, were upset by the overmatched New York Giants because they were expected to win. The 2003 New York Yankees collapsed against the Boston Red Sox because...they were a bunch of overpaid chokers that still pisses me off to this day...and because they were expected to win.

So, to all my fellow Miami Heat haters: really??? We want to make the Miami Heat underdogs all of a sudden? We're giving them the luxury of low expectations? We're willingly giving them the "nobody believes in us" card? In the words of Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler, Reeeaaaalllllly???!!!

I hope it's not too late for this but here goes: The Miami Heat will win this series. Easily. LeBron and Wade will make Allen and Pierce look really old and Mike Bibby will make some big shots and not have to defend Rajon Rondo because he will self-destruct anyway. LeBron and Wade will be unstoppable going to the basket. This will be the series that will make Danny Ainge sorry he traded away Kendrick Perkins.

There, I said it. You'll all thank me later. Unless, of course, you've already ruined it with your positive thinking.

0 comments :

 

Me

I write essays on pop culture and sports for various publications, yet remain an outsider, forever marooned in this blog I call home.

My Twitter Self

@ColonialMental